The Inclusive Pathways initiative is a multifaceted program designed to improve gender diversity in technology.
Coder Academy deliver the only accredited bootcamps in Australia, which provide students with a Diploma of IT. Our goal is to get a 50/50 gender split amongst our student populations.
In clear, actionable terms, our multi-pronged approach includes:
- Ensuring our staff are diverse, both in terms of numbers and roles,
- Women In Tech scholarships,
- Opportunities to intern with organisations who are passionate about improving diversity in tech, and supporting diverse people in their businesses,
- Providing mentoring to students as they continue their internships and move on to paid employment,
- Collaborations with corporate partners who are actively developing diversity in their technology pipelines including:
- Australia Post,
- One of the ‘Big 4’ Australian banks.
- Collaborations with community partners, including:
- Code Like a Girl,
- Women Who Code,
- Girls in Tech.
Since 2016, through our Bootcamp model, we have educated 485 full-time students, 131 or 27% of which identified as female or non-binary. We have increased the percentage of women in our courses consistently over the last three years:
- 2017 – 23% of our students identified as female or non-binary,
- 2018 – 26% identified as female or non-binary,
- 2019 (to date) – 29% identified as female or non-binary.
The current percentage of female to male students in first year Computer Science in Australia is 16%.